Nowadays, almost everyone has a blog for various purposes. Blog’s full name is Web log, and later is abbreviated to Blog. It is the fourth way of communication after Email, BBS and IM. Blog can be defined as an online diary with hyperlinks. Also, it is representative of a new lifestyle and new ways of working, and represents a new approach to learning. In short, Blog employs network as a carrier easily publishing ideas, quickly communicating with others, and setting a variety of customized display in one integrated platform (BaiduBaike 2010).
Blogs can be categorized into many different types, distinguishing not only in the type of content, but also in the way that content is delivered or written (Wiki 2010).
- Personal – This is the traditional and most common blog. Generally, it is written as an ongoing diary or commentary by an individual.
- Informational – This is one of the more common blog post types where people simply give information on a topic. It could be a definition post or a longer explanation of some aspect. This is the crux of successful sites like Wikipedia (ProBlogger 2005).
- Instructional – Instructional posts may tell people how to do something or share certain experiences of procedural work.
- and so on…
There are more description about types of blog posts on ProBlogger 20 types of Blog Posts.
How can blogging be useful to people? How can blogging be successful? Sacha Chua’s blog set a good example for people of blogging. From Sacha Chua’s archives, it is apparent that all the blog posts are classified into various categories and cover a large scope of range, such as enterprise 2.0, finance, friends, web 2.0 and so on. I have read a few posts of Sacha Chua, and it is can be realized that certain events happened in her life drive her to think a lot. Sharing is kind of approach used by Sacha Chua to increase awareness of her activities. “The more I share, the more awesome things I get to see, and the more inspired I am to share” (Sacha Chua 2010). In addition, according to Darren Rowse, he has stated more than 20 short blogging tips to help people battle bloggers block.
Blog works as a new way of expression, and it not only spreads emotions, but also includes a lot of wisdom, advice and ideas. In a sense, it is also a new cultural phenomenon. The emergence and prosperity of the blog really highlights the value of connecting knowledge. In the future, the blog will become increasingly popular and be accepted by more and more people.
Useful Blogging LinksAndrew
Here is an interesting video about Blogs in Plain English. Please have a look.
- BaiduBaike. (2010). Blog.
- ProBlogger. (2005). 20 Types of Blog Posts. Battling Bloggers Block.
- Sacha Chua’s Blog (2010). Living an awesome life.
- Wikipedia. (2010). Blog.